Sunday, September 28, 2008

Favourites

Until this week I believed in favourites. Now I'm not so sure. I have been persuaded that favourites don't exist. That instead of thinking that because I enjoyed being around someone a lot that that made them my favourite - what it means is that I enjoy being round them. Favourite would imply that I like them best of all, when I actually like them for being them. So although I love sausages, they wouldn't be any good at trying to be cake. (Although those who tried my sausage cake may disagree...) They are only good at being sausages, and sometimes I want cake. So what's the point of being my favourite food, if on this one particular occasion I want cake? Therefore on the occasion I want cake - sausages being my favourite just wouldn't matter. And although "Mary Poppins" is my "favourite" movie, sometimes I want to watch "Team America". I just like "Mary Poppins" for being what it is - wonderful.

This makes for a whole reassessment of me giving myself a label of favourite. All it really means is that I'm liked differently for being myself. I'm unique - just like everybody else.

1 comment:

scottp said...

I am not sure that leaving favourites behind is the way forward

You can have something as your favourite without it having to compromise your enjoyment of the other.

I guess it comes down to our treatment of the favourite. If we apply that label to build something up that great.
you like cake, sausages and banana's. By declaring the sausage favourite builds it up and elevates it.

but equally can you apply the label as a way of tearing down something else. Making sausages your favourite because you don't want to value cake or even consider doing anything with banana's

Favourites who are human beings are hard. I think in our nature we naturally build people up and "overdose" on them beyond a sensible point. Dunno how to deal with that sensibly.

nice blog by the way