Monday, September 15, 2008

Switzerland

Ever feel like suddenly you're in free fall mode, but instead of plummeting towards the earth you have discovered you can fly? I am just back from the opportunity of a lifetime. At 4 days notice I accepted the invitation to go to a conference in Switzerland hosted by the World Council of Churches - A Theological Encounter on Israel/Palestine. 65 theologians and church leaders from around the world (and me) talking, discussing, wrestling with new ideas about how to view the Bible with regard to the Promised Land.

I was shocked at the underlying theology of some who believe the illegal occupation in Palestine is the living out of the Promised Land. I struggle to comprehend how the oppression of any people can be the will of God. But there we were a room full of the big brains of theology and I was amazed at what was coming out of their mouths.

It was a real privilege to be sitting alongside those theologians I have been reading all summer and instead of ideas in a book, it was a conversation with another pilgrim on the road. Amazing. Mind-blowing in so many ways.

No comments: